Saturday, February 18, 2012

Berlinale.


Last weekend, I ventured for the first time outside the borders of the Czech Republic.
I fell asleep on the night train and when I awoke it was 4 in the morning and I was in Berlin. Two hours of navigating the Berlin subway system later, we arrived at our hostel and I slept for all of three hours (some of my more xcore friends didn't sleep at all) before it was time to seize the day at the Berlin Film Festival (pictured above)!
We saw this movie:

And we just happened to strike up a conversation with the brother-in-law of the director before the movie started, so after the show he took us to meet the director and all of the actors which was really inspirational for us film students since the film was powered mainly by film graduate students.
After the movie, we walked around Berlin and saw the Reichstag and the Brandenburg gate:

We saw one more movie that was terrible and not worth expounding upon. Then a friend and I went to the Ritz, met some sleazy Hollywood people, met up with Billy Bob Thorton in the lobby, and then got shuttled to a premiere party in a black BMW and went through the VIP entrance. True story. Though I would expect nothing less of myself since I am, of course, royalty.
We got back to our hostel around 3 am, got another four or so precious hours of sleep before it was off to the Berlin wall

which was cool and everything except I was so exhausted, freezing, starving, hung over, sick, and generally in pain that I hardly appreciated where I was. Then we were off to the train station again to head home. It was a complete whirlwind of a weekend in which all of us ran the gamut of emotions from cranky to ridiculous to 'sleepy ha-ha' to zombie to downright despair:











When all was said and done, we all welcomed our return home to our Praha with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment